The historic Watford landmark will host some of the best internationally acclaimed jazz musicians, bands and dancers during the afternoon extravaganza from 1-6pm. There will be live cabarets, dance classes for children and adults, professional dance displays, a vintage photo booth and more – all for free. The JiveSwing Festival at the bandstand was attended by nearly 2,000 people last year – and returns for 2017 as the BIG JiveSwing Festival, with an even bigger line-up.
Cllr Karen Collett, Portfolio Holder for Community, said: “We’re inviting everyone to the Big JiveSwing Festival. Dancing brings people together, whatever their background. It’s a great way of keeping fit while having fun. Please pack a picnic for a fun day out in Cassiobury, bring your family and friends, and make the most of this fantastic musical feast.”
You can expect:
- A DJ playing swing and jazz music by Jeep Jump Jive at 12.30pm.
- Live music from Phillips Swing Septet from 1pm.
- The JiveSwing Hoppers at 2pm.
- A JiveSwing dance class at 2.05pm.
- Live music from Down for the Count at 2.15pm.
- A dance cabaret from Charlie’s Angels at 3.15pm.
- Live music from Stolen Moments at 3.30pm.
- A second JiveSwing dance class and performance at 4.30pm.
- Live music from Britain’s Got Talent semi-finalists The Jive Aces at 5pm.
Watford’s bandstand was restored and returned to Cassiobury Park, where it originally opened in 1912, as part of a £6.6m restoration of the historic beauty sport. The project is being funded by Watford Borough Council, the Heritage Lottery Fund and the Big Lottery Fund.